Skip to main content

Our Story

The Australian Association of Psychologists Inc (AAPi) is a values-driven peak body for psychologists that aims to promote the rich diversity of psychological practice in Australia.

Where it all began…

The Australian Association of Psychologists Inc (AAPi) is the leading not-for-profit peak body representing all psychologists Australia-wide. A group of passionate psychologists formed our organisation in 2010 to:

  • Represent a united voice for psychologists to government and funding bodies 
  • Promote the recognition, professionalism, skills and expertise of psychologists
  • Improve access and equity to psychological services in Australia by removing barriers to effective treatment 
  • Advocate for the removal of the two-tier funding system and reinstate one Medicare rebate for the clients of all psychologists
  • Uphold the value of all psychological expertise and pathways to registration
  • Serve the professional needs of all psychologists by providing members with quality professional development opportunities, expert support and guidance

Our values…

We are driven by our guiding values of:

Vision / our why…

Our mission is crystal clear: to be Australia's best member association for psychologists. AAPi is a dynamic, member-centric organisation that tirelessly champions the cause of all psychologists nationwide. We're on a mission to broaden the knowledge of psychologists, level the funding playing field, and cultivate clinical excellence and innovation. Our goal? To ensure everyone has improved and increased access to psychologists.

The work we do is more than just important - it's essential. We're committed to delivering exceptional care and quality to the Australian public through compassionate, research-driven psychology services. Our aim is to empower individuals, families, and communities to achieve improved mental wellbeing and an enhanced quality of life.

Taking action…

In the past decade, we've seen a troubling trend whereby funding bodies and employers are increasingly distinguishing between 'clinically endorsed' psychologists and their peers. This has led to a widespread misconception that clinically endorsed psychologists - who represent just 26% of all psychologists - possess superior qualifications, expertise, and competency than the remaining 74% of their colleagues.

Let's set the record straight: there's no difference in client outcomes between clinical psychologists and registered psychologists. There's also no evidence to justify the pay and status gap, with registered psychologists often earning 40% less. At AAPi, we view this two-tier system as fundamentally divisive and unnecessary.

As a member community, we are taking the following actions:

  • Strong advocacy campaigns including consultation with Governments and stakeholders.
  • Media coverage to create awareness and support for change.
  • High level negotiations to improve the provision of psychological services under Medicare and other funding models such as private health, WorkSafe, Centrelink, and employer groups.
  • Legal action to remove the two-tier system.

Please see our news section for updates on our progress.


AAPi is a member of Allied Health Professions Australia (AHPA). AHPA is the recognised national voice for allied health professions, representing and advocating for the role of allied health professionals in health, aged care, disability, education and all systems where allied health services have a role. Our key advocacy premise is to achieve full integration of allied health services into the Australian health system to ensure equitable consumer access to allied health services across the nation. Our collective view of the allied health sector is informed by our allied health member organisations, who are each peak bodies for an allied health profession. 

AAPi values the role of all allied health professions, and we look forward to our collective advancement. We are stronger together.

Learn more about AHPA.